From Yale to Jail

A thirty something Ivy Leaguer keeps the public aware of her opinions on things topical and struggles with multiple demons: alcohol, the law and remaining effortlessly hip in a changing world.

Monday, March 07, 2005

I should shoot my stylist...

When recently in the hospital, I awoke to find a counselor by my bed. I told her I was too tired to talk and dismissed her with a sniff. Instead of walking away she asked if I had a place to live. I was wounded. I wanted to ask, would a vagrant have this dye job and cut? Admittedly, my coif was not well conditioned, but still...I should have thrown a Prada shoe at her but I mumbled "yes" and went back to sleep. Another thing that bugged me about the staff at this glorified jitter joint is that it considered my sojourn at Yale something I could fall back on, once, you know, I pulled it together. In the words of my psychiatrist, I had "let myself go." Gee, is that a clinical term? As far as I am concerned the attendance at Yale of a Mexican waiter's daughter is a symptom of grandiosity and pomposity. I wanted to go there because I was mentally ill. That I was gifted enough to go is an inconsequential detail. As an adolescent I was only slightly less delusional than the lady on my ward in the hospital who told me she was the queen of Denmark AND a nuclear physicist! Speaking of Denmark, I announced to my mother once that I was interested in mounting a one woman show of Hamlet, with myself as the star! Un peu de trop!~I guess it is kind of amusing that such an undertaking would be easier for most people than getting into Yale.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:03 AM, Blogger recoveryroad said…

    Great blog! Love the colours and the content is very sharp in places too!

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    I love your points about high-profile education. You put your finger right on it!

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Heath said…

    My little sister was born in Denmark. I've never been there..but my best friends drove my car there to get married. My car has a great heater.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Matmat said…

    So true Biki!!!!! Let yourself go my ass!!!

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger Dr.Philomena said…

    The queen of Denmark and a nuclear physicist?...Some people just have it all...d

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Mel Mega said…

    Obviously that lady was nuts! Everybody knows that I am the Queen of Denmark! Geesh!

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Mel Mega said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home