From Yale to Jail

A thirty something Ivy Leaguer keeps the public aware of her opinions on things topical and struggles with multiple demons: alcohol, the law and remaining effortlessly hip in a changing world.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Hunter Thompson Kills Himself

DENVER Hunter S. Thompson, the counterculture literary figure who rode with the Hells Angels, famously chronicled the Nixon-McGovern presidential race and coined the term "gonzo journalism," committed suicide Sunday night at his secluded home outside Aspen, Colo., his son said. Thompson was 67.

This is what I woke up to this morning, if you consider 2pm morning. He shot himself in the head. In my adolescence, I romanticized suicide, especially that of Marilyn Monroe. I took my first overdose of pills, a bottle of Tylenol, when I was twelve. Before I passed out, I remember going out on the front porch and looking at the gritty urban scape but also the trees and sky and feeling something like freedom. Since then I have overdosed countless times. But I'm still standing the little Elton John in my head is singing. It has been less than a year since I took an overdose but for me it feels like a blessedly long time. When I read the news about Mr. Thompson, my thoughts were that he was finally at peace and at least its not me.

"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone but they've always worked for me," Thompson said.

Except sometimes they stop working.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home