From Yale to Jail

A thirty something Ivy Leaguer keeps the public aware of her opinions on things topical and struggles with multiple demons: alcohol, the law and remaining effortlessly hip in a changing world.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Donate Your Burberry Handbags to the Homeless!

It can't go on people. If you still happen to be carrying a Burberry bag bearing the famous Novacheck plaid, you must stop now. I am going to go ahead and apply the moratorium to the scarves, coats, hats and doggy bowls too. Let your pooch not be passe. I know that only applied to three or four or you. The rest of you retired your merchandise to the back of the closet months, or YEARS ago. I have not sported Burberry check in over two years. The only thing worse than carrying a Burberry bag is carrying a counterfeit Burberry bag. More than once I have been tempted to approach a challenged chickadee on the street, bar or restaurant and give her my address so she could pick up my Burberry and at least make a genuine mistake, instead of a cheap knock off faux pas. For the philanthropic inclined, I say let us not waste these purses of plaid. I have been inspired by PETA's work with the indigent, passing out donated fur coats to the homeless so that someone who is not rich can use them. This was done most recently here in DC, where 50 used pelts were given away at a shelter. PETA made sure every coat was damaged by paint or slices through the fur so that the homeless could not resell the coats. (READ:NO COATS FOR CRACK. Marion Berry might be lurking to party hardy!) So I say take out that Burberry and hand it to that homeless woman you ignore on the way to Starbucks every morning! Go ahead and play fairy god mother and add make it a goody bag. An apple, a sugar free Red Bull, perfume samples, tooth towels add that extra touch that say you care!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Matmat said…

    Classic!!!! I have no old Burberry.....But I do have some clothing that I can give to the homeless and will do so this weekend.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Distressed Jeans said…

    hahaha! Very funny. True. I havent seen a Burberry plaid in a year. Its so OVER. Anyone who dare to show up in such a old fashioned out of style pattern while get a dirty look from me. Even my dog is wearing argyle now. Much trendier to go along with her mini Uggs!

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger bikipatra said…

    I actually bought some Burberry purple aviators off Bluefly last week. I have nothing against the BRAND per se...but I did cringe when inside the ear pieces which are teeny tiny wafer thin they bothered to put the plaid!!! oh well, only we two know it is there. And I know you won't tell!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home